- Step 1: OPT (Optional Practical
Training), which is applied by the student's school and approved by
USCIS. It is valid for either 12 months or 29 months depending on the
field of study.
- Step 2: H-1B, which is work
visa applied by the employer and approved by the USCIS. It is valid
for three years and renewable for another three years.
- Step 3: PERM, which is
the process for labor certification, which assures that employer could
not find willing and competent U.S. work for the job. It is applied by
the employer and approved by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Alternative step 3: NIW: Alternatively, the
alien can petition USCIS for NIW (National Interest Waiver). If the
national interest so warrants, the alien may bypass the labor
- Step 4: I-140, which is the
immigration application by the employer and approved by the USCIS.
- Step 5: I-485, which the
alien's application to adjust status, approved by USCIS
- Multinational managers or executives
- Persons of extraordinary ability
- Outstanding researcher or professor
- International investor